Friday, February 13, 2009

Alphabet Sampler Quilt - Quilted


I have to add the binding (it will be the white of the edges) and a sleeve on the back for hanging, and a label, and then it will be really finished. Chris asked if I was going to wash it, and I think she was a bit startled when I said no. It will hang in my dining room.

I had always wanted this quilt to be reminiscent of an antique needlework sampler, and it incorporates many of the same elements: the upper and lower case letters, numbers, a house, some decorative stitching separating the elements, the maker's name and location as well as the year of completion. Many of these samplers also included the maker's age, an element I decided not to include.

The house is modeled after the house I live in. The letters and hearts are from Tonya of Lazy Gal Quilting, the little asterisk-flowers are from Sarah. The little wonky stars are from Belinda. The hand is my own hand, and I designed the butterflies. The quilt was quilted by the wonderful and talented Chris Ballard and photographed by Julie Sefton.

Aside from the hand, which is pieced in traditional patchwork, the quilt is entirely free-pieced, and made without templates, patterns or foundation paper piecing.

You can click the photo to enlarge.

22 comments:

Poppy Q said...

Lynne, it looks great. You are so talented, and we hope it brings you lots of joy every time you look at it.

Julie and Poppy Q

Clare said...

It really does remind me of an antique sampler. What colour are you going to do the binding in?

Millie said...

The binding will be the same white on white as the small border that surrounds the quilt.

Anonymous said...

It really is truly beautiful and stunning.

--mother of 5 adopted kids

Joyce said...

It's beautiful and you totally captured that antique sampler look.

Brenda said...

It's wonderful. The whole thing is better than all the little glimpses you were giving us all week. Congrats on a great finish. I don't wash quilts either after finishing -- I prewash the fabric before. Why wash it after? Unless a light quilt like yours is dirty from all the handling during making.

Valerie said...

How stunning! Beautiful work!

zizzybob said...

Love it!!!

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you are enjoying your masterpiece. I look forward to seeing it with the binding and hung in its spot!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Woo Hoo!! What an amazing, wonderful, personally-satisfying quilt... it has been such an honor to be part of the realization of your goals/dream on this one!

ENJOY IT!!!

Lone Star Purrs said...

That is amazingly beautiful. I don't know that I will ever make anything that looks like that!
~LSP Momma Becca

Quilt Monkey said...

Absolutely wonderful! It's been really fun watching the progression of your project and now seeing the finished masterpiece. You are an inspiration!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Oh, it's wonderful

susan said...

oh wowo! it turned out awesome!!
i enlarged it to check out the detail, but it still wasnt big enough to see that kitty up close. do you have a detailed shot of it?? i think it looks too darn cute

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Lynne ...
That is absolutely phenomenal work! I'm so proud to know someone so tremendously talented and creative!
Jessica (and DMM)

Tonya Ricucci said...

fantastic!!!

Mary Johnson said...

It definitely has that look of a Sampler. I love it!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

It's amazing, I love it!! What a fantastic quilt, I read the whole story over at Quiltdivjulie's.

Browndirtcottage said...

...clapping....clapping.....yes...
I LIKE IT!!!!

Cher said...

truly a fabulous and special quilt-loved the story of connections

Lynda said...

This is fabulous! Tradition transformed! (Probably a good idea to omit the age bit!)

jovaliquilts said...

Awesome! So traditional but so absolutely new and unique and personal. Truly a wonderful quilt to have made and to own.