Sunday, March 22, 2009

Selvage Sisters

My sister likes to make quilts too. She makes wonderful scrappy quilts. She is completely unencumbered by worry of the Quilt Police. She made this delightful pink quilt for my three-year old niece, Cassie. (you can click the pictures to enlarge.)

We collaborated on this Queen-sized quilt. We each made 10 blocks and then alternated them. You can't tell which are hers, and which are mine. (That's her on the right, trying to look angelic.)She isn't as good a sewer as I am (she's a Black Belt in Karate, so it evens out). I went over to her house yesterday to help her make some potholders and to have dinner. (OK, I cooked.) While trying to decide what colors to use, she asked if I wanted some selvages, because she doesn't like selvage quilts, or things made with them.

Is the sky blue?

So she gleefully went through her stash, tossing fabrics with selvage dots in my direction, where I lined them all up and sliced off the selvages.I brought home this gigantic stack.I love my sister.

9 comments:

Barb said...

Oh man, I need a sister like that! I'm hooked on selvages now ~ but haven't collected enough to make something cool but I will soon!

Clare said...

Cassie's quilt is gorgeous.

I'm not a selvedge person, but am willing to start collecting and send on to you if you want them?

Helen said...

The quilts are gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. I'm particularly fond of the pink one, cause pink is my second favorite color after red...a really close second.

Your sister must be an angel...how could you mistake that!? Of course, I think it runs in the family.

Have a wonderful time with her, it's so great to have a sister that you are close with...I know, cause I have a great sister, too!

Hugs

Valerie said...

Those are beautiful. What a fun hobby to share with your sister.

Selvage Quilter said...

Wow, I love those quilts. It sounds like you two have a blast together. I can't wait to sew with my sister this summer. She gives me her selvages too. Aren't we lucky? Those are the happiest quilts I've seen in a while! And she's right: the quilt police are NOT coming. Yayyy!
Karen

Bebesboutique said...

It's wonderful haveing someone close to share your craft with you. That is how I am with my mom. I really like your sister's pink quilt. I have alot of the same fabrics. I would like to do a collabrative quilt with my mom but she still thinks the quilt police witll show up lol. But I'm working on that we are haveing a couple sew days Tus and wens day during my spring break.

ilovebabyquilts said...

Should I be sending you my selvages instead of throwing them away?! I never thought about them before. I feel like the people who I KNOW are out there who cut a baby dress out of designer fabric and throw away the scraps. aaaaaaagh! That hurts me personally.

MyCretanlife said...

Love those quilts, and lucky you getting all them selvage pieces.

Tonya Ricucci said...

both those quilts are so fun. I'm envious of you having a marvelous quilting sister!