Saturday, April 25, 2009

Half Square Blocks

The "Reading Out Loud" quilt I am working on is set on point, and thus needs half square triangles all around the edges. Here are the ones I have made so far. (You can click the picture to make it bigger.) These blocks are 6-1/2" on the short sides.

The quilt is inspired by Gwen Marston & Freddy Moran's quilt Reading in Bed from their book, Collaborative Quilting.

You may be wondering why I have decided to rename this quilt Reading Out Loud. Good question. Let me explain.

At the last meeting of the local quilt guild, a woman got up at "Show and Tell" with a quilt she described as being "kind of loud." I craned my neck to get a better view as she unfolded it. This I wanted to see.

It was a smallish quilt, with nine blocks and a wide border. The blocks were very simple, with a lot of background. The quilt was made with three fabrics, bright red, bright yellow with beige background.

I thought, "well, if that's loud, my [Reading in Bed] quilt is positively SCREAMING!!"That's when I decided to rename my quilt.

11 comments:

Bebesboutique said...

Reading Out Loud is just perfect! I like it!

Vivian said...

I'm catching up on some favorite blogs, so I had to read your last 2 or 3 posts to get the whole story on this Q. Your B/W sashing is the perfect complement to the brights, and that block that seems to disappear in the sashing--too cute. I hope the lady with her "loud" quilt is prepared for this one. It's going to be loud, bold, and stunning!

Tonya Ricucci said...

it's gorgeous - love it.

Clare said...

Wonderful colours and grezt name. Love it.

Unknown said...

Love the name and the quilt! Perfect together!

sewfunquilts said...

I love bright fabrics, and yours always stand out. I like it.

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Oh for crying out loud!

Browndirtcottage said...

wild and crazy and LOUD...love it

Donna said...

isn't it interesting to see what different people consider "loud"... if its not absolutely shreiking across the room at me saying "look at me! look at me!" it's interesting perhaps, but not "loud" :-)

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

I love the colours you are using. What a gorgeous quilt.

Jen aka Quiltah said...

Your fabrics are great.I love the B&W print.