Saturday, June 20, 2009

Little House in the Country

Here's the little house in the jungle. The block is about 16" tall and 15" wide. I really like this house.

Here's another one in the planning stage:This one doesn't have a name yet. Here, the inspiration was the roof fabric. I am not quite sure about the door, but I want a Very Busy Fabric for it.

I also have a "high-rise" planned. No drawing, I just pulled fabrics. It will be black and white with colors. How's that for a tease?


Thanks to everybody who left comments on yesterday's post. I am happy to oblige. Now for the answers to some questions...

First, to the question nobody asked... These are all my ideas. I haven't received any colored drawings from my "fairy godkids" yet. I am also thinking this might be two quilts. One for the forthcoming baby, and a second one. The reason for this is there are other elements I want to add the the baby's quilt, and I don't want the houses to overpower it. You'll all get to see, I promise.

Mary
, a fellow New Hampshire girl! Yay. Terrific idea about making houses using themed fabrics. I love Asian fabrics. I will certainly make an Asian-themed house! Mary, you might enjoy my sister's blog. She has two pugs.

Wanda
, I don't know how big the quilt will be. Big enough for a bed, surely. I rarely have a predetermined size in mind when I start. The quilt will end up being however big (or small) as it needs to be. Usually it tells me.

Callie, I already made my own house in a quilt. It's in the Alphabet Sampler Quilt.

Finally, to Susan R, and Kyra, I have been inspired and instructed by Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaking book and the March/April 09 issue of Quiltmaker magazine. Also, check my original post about my housing project. It has links to other house quilts.


by the way, all the houses have been made with fabrics from my stash.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I really love how your houses are turning out! They are beautiful. I can't wait to see them all put together. The quilt will just be fantastic.

Mishkat said...

I missed your post yesterday but I like seeing the process too. And I love the jungle house - very inspiring! The Asian fabric suggestion was a good one - I saw a quilt on-line somewhere where all the houses were made of Japanese prints, and it looked great (it was pieced from a pattern, but the idea could be adapted).

Anonymous said...

I love them all, but I think the jungle house is my favorite so far!

Bebesboutique said...

I think all your houses are great. They are so fun to make too.

I am like you in that I never know how big a quilt is going to be till it tells me. But mine do tend to keep growing until I have enough parts to do more than one quilt. lol they take on a life of their own.

Sharon said...

I love the jungle house - what fun! I love all the animals hiding in the jungle.

It's so much fun to watch your quilt(s) evolve, and especially to watch your process.

susan said...

i am glad you are using your scraps to make this. makes it so much better!! great jungle house...oh how about an out of africa type??? or a yurt?? haha
an asian one sounds faberlous!

cottonreel said...

These are really cute-cottonreel