Friday, September 4, 2009

Friday Facts

My cat Millie occasionally deigns to sit beside me. Here she is watching me handsew the binding on the Sunshine Quilt. Millie was a rescue cat, and she was feral, so she does NOT like to be handled. I've had her three years and I still can't pick her up, so when she decides to sit near me, it's a nice thing.

It got me to thinking...

Twenty-five years ago, when I was still married, I had a worktable four feet wide by ten feet long. Yes, four feet by TEN feet! It was glorious! When I had to sew the binding on a quilt, I would lay it out on the table, and let the edge hang down. Then I'd sit in an office chair and just move the chair as I stitched my way from one end to the other. In this manner, I could blindstitch an astonishing two inches a minute. Of course I didn't have arthritis and I didn't need bifocals either! LOL!

When I start handsewing the binding on a quilt, I always start about 18" away from a corner, and work my way to the corner. That way, when I turn the fourth corner, I'm well and truly in the homestretch.

I -always- use a thimble. I wear it on my middle finger of my right hand. It's a size 8. I have two thimbles, both size 8, but I always use the same one, and if I set it down somewhere and forget where I put it, I can't work until I find it. I never use the "alternate." The one I prefer is on the right in this picture.I've been watching the US Open Tennis Tournament on television. I've made good progress on binding the Sunshine Quilt while watching. I've turned three corners, and have two sides complete. (I can't sew anywhere near two inches a minute any more.)

How come I can do so much handsewing when doing 24" in one session is usually so tough for me? One word:

Ice.

9 comments:

MyCretanlife said...

Having arthritis in your hands must be awful. I hope I dont develope it, although my family have got it. I am so glad for you that you can keep going with making quilts as they are lovely. I enjoy reading your blog. Like the cat too.

Tonya Ricucci said...

sweet pic of Millie hanging out with you. wow, that table sounds wonderful - wish I had one now. I've been watching the tennis as well - always good to quilt to.

Linda said...

That was so nice of Millie to join you for a bit. Our little tabby, Butch, who is named after Butch Cassidy, tried to make a run for the backyard this morning. I had to wrangle the desperado back inside. I'm so sorry you have to deal with arthritis. Mine is still mild enough that an Advil will take care of it. The work you do is lovely. Enjoy the tennis!

luv2quilt2 said...

I have a touch of arthritis in my hands, so doing handwork can sometimes be quite a chore. The best relief for me is a set of hand heating pads. They work wonders.

Unknown said...

Millie does look quite comfy. My cats usually choose to lay on the quilt that I am binding. Makes it hard for me to move the quilt around. Even though you may not be as quick, you still get it done and do a fantastic job!

Sara said...

Millie really shows a lot of trust when she will come and sit with you like that...She is such a sweet and beautiful cat!

sewfunquilts said...

Great "Millie Helper" to keep you company. It might take us longer to do things with stiff sore hands, but we still get 'em done. Looks like a pretty one.

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

I have never gotten the hang of using a thimble. I wish I could! I have a special question to ask you could you sende an email? Thanks V

Poppy Q said...

Lynne, Poppy doesn't often sit near me. I did get a packet of temptations, and put them beside me, so that if she came close I gave her one. Eventually she started jumping on my knee, and she got two or three. Now she will climb up to get a couple, and sometimes will climb up for a quick cuddle and snooze. Only five minutes at the most.

What a lovely photo of Miss M, snuggling beside you. Who would have thought.

Smooches

Julie and Poppy Q