Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Lazy Dog

The fox was a bear. I made the head twice. I made each leg at least twice. I made the tail twice. I even made the body twice.

After much fox wrangling, the lazy dog turned out to be a piece of cake.


Of course, THIS TIME, in addition to drawing out the dog, I figured out how I would piece him together beforehand. I cut out and identified all the pieces. I did not paper piece him, but the construction was much more controlled. The dog body is made from a batik fabric I was given. You could say I "fussy cut" the pieces of the dog's body. The way they are arranged is very deliberate. You can click the photo to enlarge.

Now, I want a little bird, and I need at least one butterfly. Then I can start putting it all together.

It would be nice to finish the top before I go on vacation next month, but that might not happen, given the house has to be clean for the house-sitter.




*Susan R, "Le renard brun rapide saute par dessus le chien paresseux" is simply "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" in French.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Great dog!! Sometimes making the block come out like we would like requires us to make mistakes and make them twice, right? LOL. I give you so much credit for your perseverance. This is going to be one great quilt.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa Rawson said...

Nice doggie...love the collar!

I can't wait to see this all together!

Joyce said...

The dog must have been easier partly because he doesn't have jumping legs. There are so many angles on legs.
Great job on both of them.

Blogless me said...

Your dog is in very good company. The fox has also turned out amazing!

Susan R said...

Thanks Lynn. I'm a little embarrassed that I couldn't figure that out. LOL

I love dog!! Thanks for the insight on how to actually design - I know the "why" and now I have an idea of the "how". You my dear are a very talented artist!!

Susan

Tonya Ricucci said...

oh, he does look sleepy. great job!