Sunday, March 21, 2010

All In The Family

When I was arranging the house blocks for Devon's House quilt, I had a long rectangular empty space. I didn't want to fill it with a tree, and that meant I had to make another house. Everybody in Devon's family was already in the quilt, and many of our friends are represented by the cats all over the quilt. What to do... what to do...

I was looking through my stash and I found the "Home Sewing" fabric. I saw a lady in front of a sewing machine! ME! I would make a house for me! Since I listen to classical music all the time, and my son plays cello, the red house fabric with the stringed instruments was perfect. I loved the golden fabric for the door, and I used black fabric with Japanese kanji lettering for the roof. My son is a 3rd Black Belt in karate, so this represented him. I added a garden fabric as the ground.

I'm part of the family, and now I'm in the quilt!

6 comments:

Clare said...

I love the shape of it.

Do all your family play some sort of musical instrument and do karate?

Darling Millie said...

No Clare, I play no musical instruments, and I don't do karate.
Brother # 1 is a world class rock climber and played flute in high school. No karate.
Brother #2 is a fine furniture maker & played trombone in high school. Prefers hiking. No karate.
Mother is professional artist, no sports.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I LOVE your block. lots of character.

Brenda said...

good for you for putting yourself in.

Joyce said...

I love the shape and colors of this house. Even better that it has all kinds of significance for you.

Tina said...

I love it! What a great quilt!