Saturday, June 12, 2010

Doll Quilt Swap Quilts - Received

Here are the quilts I have received from my partners in the Doll Quilt Swaps.

This was made by Savida from New York City for Doll Quilt Swap 4. It is completely sewn and quilted by hand. There is so much detail to look at, the tiny little sashing squares, the ever so slightly different backgrounds of all the blocks... it's really quite amazing.


When Gemma received my likes and dislikes for Doll Quilt Swap 5, she thought "She and I were separated at birth," and made me this paper-pieced beauty. Gemma lives in Wales in the UK.
For Doll Quilt Swap 6, I asked my partner to make something that was unique. Petra, from Scotland, loves antique textiles and dolls and crafted this very special quilt.Check out the little doll. Petra wrote the doll was bald, and when she cut her daughter's hair, she thought to use it for the little doll.
For Doll Quilt Swap 7, I asked my partner to make a quilt for my school-bus yellow bathroom. Sarah made me a quilt that just knocked me out - so much me, but so much her, and so perfect on that yellow wall!Jodie got everything right in this little gem from Doll Quilt Swap 8. "Bright colors, black and white, wacky and wonky..."

It took me a while, but now when I list things I want to tell my partner, I list my loves, (I love bright colors (not into dull browns or Civil War repros), black and white together, geometrics, wonky, free pieced, love batiks, Kaffe Fassett and Amy Butler.. hate cutesy fabrics) but then I write:

Frankly, I want my partner to ignore all that and make me a quilt showing off what she/he does best, what she/he LOVES, and what she/he would be proud to display to the world as her/his best work.

I love participating in the Doll Quilt Swap.

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Sounds like enormous fun ... such artistry showcased!!

eva said...

i want to know about the doll. what can you tell me about it? i have one similar to it.. it's legs and arms are held to the body by thin elastics inside the body.
no other markings on it...
i'd love to find out about her.
i've had her since i was a kid.

xo
eva