Saturday, January 29, 2011

Breaking The Rules

My pal Julie has been following my Rules quilt closely, and when she saw I wasn't going to use the black and white word "RULES" in my quilt, she asked me to send it to her, so she could use it on the back of the quilt she is making (using my orphans.)

I looked at it the other night, and didn't see what was there... I saw what it could be.
Remove the "R", substitute a "J"; add an "I" between the "L" and the "E" and you get...
When that was finished, I looked over and saw the letters "R and "S" looking lonely, and knew they needed a "C, "H", and an "I" to become:
Chris, our friend, who does the spectacular longarm quilting on our quilts, and will quilt this one when it is finished.

I knew Julie wanted the letters right away, because she was ready to work on the backing. I mailed the "Rules" letters on Wednesday.

Thursday morning I woke up with a brainstorm, and when I got home from work that night, I went into my sewing studio and got right to work. Friday morning I sent Julie another word panel, and let her know something else was coming her way.

Friday afternoon I got an email from Julie, surprised and happy to receive the name panels. "Any chance you can make B&W letters for Lynne and send them to me... I have an awesome idea."

"And what do you think was in the envelope I mailed to you this morning?" I wrote back.

Great minds (and great friends) think alike!

4 comments:

Clare said...

Brilliant! I'm looking at Julie's blog at the same time. Can't wait for the big reveal.

You and I have the same taste in irons :-)

Quiltdivajulie said...

Monday I'll show photos of how I'm going to use the three name panels ... the first two are already on the design wall and looking GREAT!

Still can't get over how we came up with the same idea from so many states apart! Gotta love it!

Julie

Michele Bilyeu said...

You are so much better than a virtual scrabble game! I swear letters must swirl in your aura all the time!

Tonya Ricucci said...

wheee, what a fun quilt this is going to be.