Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Steal Like an Artist

For those of you who feel you can't come up with a single original idea, relax. It's probably been done. But don't worry. Inspiration is nothing more than stealing like an artist. Go check out Austin Kleon's post: Steal Like an Artist. Really.

To the lovely ready who commented she liked the i in the Make it Work quilt, I have to confess, I was inspired by this piece that hangs in my studio:

Lucinda made it for me. I was one of the Swap Mamas for Doll Quilt Swap 9, and Lucinda made each of the Mamas a lovely chair quilt, personalized just for them. Mine had to have letters. What to fit in this tiny space? A small word, but she did it magnificently. This little quilt is 7-1/2" wide by 15" tall, and the letters are small - the S is barely 2" high.

I look at this little beauty every day. I like the way Lucinda made her letters - totally unlike anything I would do.

You should check Lucinda's blog as well as her Flickr photostream - she is an artist at free piecing - very adventurous and creative. She is truly inspiring.

5 comments:

Tonya Ricucci said...

that is adorable! love it!

Michele Bilyeu said...

Thanks for the 'Steal...' link up. He is fabulously brilliant. I loved it. We really and truly do practice re-creation, don't we? ;)

Quiltdivajulie said...

I've only read through to #2 of "steal" and I came back to say "THANK YOU" for sharing the link ... THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

Great food for thought.

Helen said...

Love Lucinda's chairs! Mine is nicer than yours though! ;)

Mary Lou Weidman said...

Now that is creative, original and wonderful all in one. If I were to grade it, you get an A+-great work!