Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My House

 My house is kinda boring. I have lived in the bottom floor apartment of this house for over 25 years. I thought its boring-ness was a negative, but when it comes to free piecing your own house, it turns out to be an asset.
 I wanted to include a house in my alphabet sampler quilt, but I hadn't done many houses back then, and I didn't want the house to take over the quilt.  So I took a picture of my house, and then drew it out to scale. 
As you can see, it took a couple of tries. I had to eliminate the elements that would make the house look three dimensional, and I had to work out the scale. The windows would be one inch by two inches. I thought it would end up smaller, but the finished house panel is about 14" x 18".

I actually added the cat in the window after I finished the house, but I think it totally makes the quilt. You can read more about my thought process here.

6 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Having seen this pieced fabric house in person, I can attest to how wonderful it is!

Elaine M said...

Love it!

Terri said...

I like the flowers in the box upstairs, too. Very pretty.
Hugs...

Michele Bilyeu said...

I've always liked that style of house to tell you the truth...but your pieced house..wow!..even better than the real thing! Love the cat and yep...makes the house a home!

Sheila said...

I love your house block. I think I see Millie in the window :) Have a great week!

Clare said...

You may live in the bottom half, but I think it's gorgeous. It reminds of the houses in Kent where my mother lives. Not the style, but the boarding.

I've always loved that block.