Saturday, March 31, 2012

It's the Pits!

Really.

These are two four pound bags of cherry pits. As many of you know, I have arthritis in my spine.  When it really hurts I use a heating pad to help relax the muscles in my back.  Except it's not a heating pad, it's a fabric bag filled with cherry pits. (I kid you not.)  It works like a charm.  But the one I had was a little big and I wanted a smaller one, so I did a search and found  The Cherry Pit Store.
What I did NOT know is these pads can be chilled also.  When I was visiting my Maryland family, my friend pulled one out of the freezer for me.  OH!  So I ordered a couple of bags of cherry pits.

I estimated the size of the bag I wanted to make, and cut a piece of fabric 8-1/2" x 17".

I folded it in half with the right sides together, sewed up the sides.

 I weighed out a pound of the cherry pits, then put them in the bag, and sewed up the last side.
 Presto!
This blue one will live in the freezer.  I'll make a red pad about the same size to use when I want a hot pad.To use a hot pad, I'll just put it in the microwave for two minutes.


10 comments:

LesQuilts said...

Hi!
So you can just heat them in the microwave or does your body heat make the pits heat up for your body?
These sound like something I can use for my neck!
Thanks, take care, Leslie

Helen said...

Interesting...

I've made rice bags (and used them the way you use your "pit bags").

I had no idea that cherry pits were sold for this purpose (and who knows what else)!!

Glad these bags help your back. I have arthritis (in many of my body) and it sure does hurt...sometimes more than other times.

Just Ducky said...

We have some with soybeans inside we think.

Elaine M said...

Thanks for the info about the cherry pits. I have used feed corn for heating pads 5x20. Good size around the neck, sew it in 4 sections so corn stays distributed. Think I will order some cherry pits.

Quiltdivajulie said...

LOVE the fabric you used! And I think I, too, shall invest in some of these cherry pits. Thanks for sharing!

Vicky F said...

I never knew the pits were for sale! I purchased neck warmers/coolers with cherry pits for gifts in the past. They smell pleasantly like cherries when warmed.
Thanks for the link.
Vicky F

Peggy said...

Love this idea for presents!!!

Jean said...

I have never used one with cherry pits but I have some with rice inside that I rely on. Great job!

Susan R said...

Thanks Lynne for the cherry pits info! I too have arthritis in the lower spine and this sounds like a safe and easy way of easing the pain. I love the ice remedy too. My heal pain will love it!

Gosh, aging isn't for sissies!

Susan

Sheila said...

Who ever knew you could buy cherry pits. I love the idea of blue for the cold, red for hot, thanks for sharing.