Thursday, March 1, 2012

Then Again, I Might Be an Idiot...

So OK, we all know I didn't really like the "before you can think" letters yesterday.  I was looking at them on a different wall from the box.

I dragged the stepladder from its usual resting place next to the refrigerator to the sewing studio and set the letters above the black box.
When I stepped down, and moved across the room to get a better look, I realized I might have been a bit too hasty with my harsh judgement.

I still don't like the chopped up colored letters; HOWEVER, this makes me realize I've got the colors the wrong way around.  The "Before you can think" should be pale and subdued.  The letters "out of the box" should be bright and riotous, a cacophony of color, fun and full of surprises (I can do that!)  Then the "you have to start with a box" letters have to move back to duller, more washed out colors, until I end with the small box at the very end. OHO! Now my brain is swirling with ideas!

So, more letters for the misfit bin, and somewhat back to the drawing board for me, but no matter. It's like Thomas Edison said, "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

your observation is a good one. Thanks for sharing the process.

Kathy said...

I think you are on the right track now .... one more observation... if you want it. the before you can think letters appear to be larger than the out of the box letters. It may be more effective if that were reversed?

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good idea to get the pieces and parts all on the same design wall. And you are right - you have NOT failed!

The Selvage Fairy said...

Taking a step back to get a better look...What a concept!

I like the idea of more intense color in the center, and softer toward the edges. It's another layer of the design.