Friday, August 24, 2012

Gold Thoughts

Here is what the gold was kinda sorta supposed to look like.  Except it took over and drew too much attention to the shiny gold around the box. And frankly, so much of the shiny gold (and no, it was NOT Lame) just looked cheap and tacky.

After lots of in the car thinking, I may have a better solution.  I still wanted gold, I just didn't want so much of it. For a while I thought of gold fabric, but that would have been equally distracting, and meant I'd have to go fabric shopping.

Then I thought, maybe I need some white or cream fabric with gold in it? And I kept thinking... where was I going to find that? 

CHRISTMAS!!Christmas fabrics often have gold metallic accents.

It just so happened I had some in the nether regions of my stash.  I like this a lot better, and even though some of the fabrics might not be "perfect," I like this direction better than the shiny gold.

I'm on vacation for the next two weeks, and I plan to finish the quilt top. Whee!!

5 comments:

Judy in Michigan said...

Shouldn't the "pop" or accent be coming from the top of the box and not from the sides and bottom?? Just an observation...I like the dresden plate idea - why not continue with the white (and those old snowflake and dots? ideas from way back) until you reach the brown "table" that the box is sitting on? Just another thought to really melt your mind...

Lori R. said...

Yes, you are going in the right direction. The prints with gold seem to work pretty well. The shiny gold took away from the fabulous silver sparkles at the top of the box.

Jean said...

This will be so awesome. I like it so far...I even like the gold...but maybe it would be too much if you were to surround the box.

Queenie Believe said...

Much better gold selection than the solid of the 1st go round. A wee touch of gold helps emphasize the mystery of the box with in its own way helps the explosion of creating outside of it... If that makes any sense :o)
Have a wonderful time away from the mundane... lucky gal!
Always, Queenie

Quiltdivajulie said...

Enjoy your "away" time!!!!!!!!