Thursday, January 9, 2014

Sand-Chicken-Wiches

I am sewing components together. Incidentally, the photo above shows why two rows of letters never get closer than half an inch. The bulk created by the edges of the letters has to go somewhere, so they just get pressed over flat. I never cut a one inch strip. I cut larger, then sew it to the letters, then press, then trim it straight. You can read more detail about it here.

This is Julie's chicken sandwich idea. I confess I never saw it, but think it's great.


I sewed these four letters and four flying geese together. The hardest thing is trying to remember how to sew the components together once they are off the design wall. The fix is to take lots of pictures and use them as reference.

I really debated about that first flying geese triangle to the left of ROAST but the corner looked empty without it, so it's there.


4 comments:

Heidi said...

oh, I love the chicken sandwiches .
Very clever block ;-)

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

Is that chicken quilt for sale?

y husband raises chickens and it is so cool.

Cedar Ridge Studio said...

Is that chicken quilt for sale?

y husband raises chickens and it is so cool.

lisa shenk said...

Lynne, I found your blog shortly before you started on your chicken quilt! I absolutely adore it, I raise chickens and my husband and a good friend call me "the chicken lady", as the first year I convinced him to let me get some, I ordered "the hungryman's special" from a local catalog, it was 25 egg layers, and 50 meat chickens, in the meantime, he was at a local farm and home store, owned by a friend of his, and came home with 25 egg layers, and the same day I brought home 7 miscellaneous egg layers! We had so many chickens that summer, it was so funny! I tend to buy my hens for #1 number of eggs produced per year, and #2 prettiness!! Your quilt really strikes a chord with me! I do need to note, that we live in the Midwest, with lots of chiggers and ticks in the summer, and since having hens, I am not nearly as troubled by these pests!!! Keep it up, I just love the humor in this!