Friday, January 24, 2014

The Wrong Road

There's a quote I have posted on my inspiration wall...

"No matter how far you've gone down the wrong road, turn back."
Remember this fabric I selected for the back of the Christmas Random Plank quilt?
I had a hard time ironing it. The iron seemed to drag, and when I brushed the fabric flat on my ironing table, there seemed to be some gritty stuff on it, that seemed to come off.

So I tossed it in the washing machine, and then in the dryer. When I cleaned the lint filter, I could see little black specks throughout. Feeling better about it, I started ironing it again, but it still felt gritty and grimy.  As I worked my way across the length of the fabric, I realized the metallic gold  print was coming off, leaving a grubby, grimy feel to it.

I called the friend who gave me the fabric. She admitted she had bought it early in her quilting career, and it had not come from a quilt shop, and the fabric was probably of a lower quality than we both use now.

I didn't think the fabric would ever make me happy, and I couldn't imagine touching the quilt and feeling that grubbiness every time.


So I did the only rational thing I could do.

I threw it out.

2 comments:

Megan said...

Good decision.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Quiltdivajulie said...

Good call - glad you did it!