Saturday, June 14, 2014

Quilts and Color in Boston

"Magnificent Freaking Quilts" is exactly correct. Those quilts in the Quilts and Color show at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston are amazing. They are SPECTACULAR.




Julie and I had a lot of fun with the sock kitty Millie, but these quilts were beyond anything we expected.

Sure, you say. I've got the catalog. I have pictures of the quilts in the show. I don't need to go to Boston. See this quilt below... an Irish Chain. No big deal, right?

You would be dead wrong. The pictures don't do these quilts justice. Forget about looking at the detailed quilting stitches. IN PERSON, these colors VIBRATE.

In person, these quilts SHIMMER. It was absolutely astonishing. And it has nothing to do with the intensity of the colors. It had to do with the way the colors affected each other. And this cannot be captured in a photograph. This effect happens in your eyes. Even Millie was agog.


Take this basket quilt, for example. Pretty standard stuff, right? When I saw this in the catalog, I just turned the page. Bo-ring, I thought. But then I saw it in person.

This quilt is made of SATIN, which means it really, literally, shimmers. It was an absolute knockout, and one of my favorites in the entire show.

All this in the first room! I have a lot to tell you, but today is a busy day so I'll show you more another day. If you want to read a review of the show, check out this rave from the Boston Globe.

And if you love quilts, you owe it to yourself to get to Boston to see this show. I am not joking. It is that good.

3 comments:

Mary K said...

You are so lucky. I wish I could but, Oregon is a bit far from Boston.

Thanks for sharing.

Jackie said...

Thank you for the review and postings.

Megan said...

Fabulous pics and feedback Lynne. Thank you. I mentioned that I was going to write an article about this exhibition for my regular Loose Threads column in Australian Quilters Companion magazine? I found the Boston Globe review online and quoted from it and used the "bliss out" term in the headline for the article. LOL

Megan
Sydney, Australia