Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Ask Me Why...

Ask me why I make quilts for myself... Because I don't have to listen to what anybody else thinks or wants.

Many comments yesterday said, "Make the quilt the way the kid wants it." Well that's nice, but it's not up to him. The only thing he got to choose was the colors. I picked the design and I'll choose the layout. I thought it would be interesting to see what he thought. He spent less than five minutes looking at what I had. He didn't seem attached to it either way. I told him that I wouldn't promise to make the quilt that way, that I would make the quilt the way I thought it was the most beautiful. He had no problem with that.

A few years ago my son asked for a yellow quilt.

Then he objected to many of the fabrics I selected. When the quilt was finished he pointed out all the fabrics that he hadn't liked originally.  "You didn't listen to me at all, did you?"

I shook my head.

"Good thing."

I'm not making what I think is a crappy  boring or mediocre quilt for anybody. I'm going to make the most beautiful quilt I can. Period. End of Sentence. End of Story.