Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Petals on the Wall

I started putting the petals blocks up on the design wall. 
 At this stage of the game, I'm not doing a whole lot of "designing." I'm just getting the blocks up on the wall to see how many I have, and to get a feel for how they work together.

I knew I wanted to have the pink blocks in there somehow, but hadn't given it much thought.

This is eight blocks by ten, and it looks OK, but I have more blocks, so I decided to throw them up on the wall and see how they'd look.

All these fabrics came from my stash, and the point was to use fabrics from the stash and only from the stash. I'm a big believer in that a limited number of options increases the potential for true creative work, so I won't make more blocks, but I'll use the ones I have and make them work.


If you look closely, you'll find a change I made from the photos above. There was one area that was too mushy - the fabrics blended together in a bad way. I changed one block and it looks better, but I've got every block I made up on the wall, so there's not a whole lot of wiggle room.

Numbers are not my strong suit, and I found I have 108 blocks. This is nine block by twelve. I must stress I haven't really played much with the arrangement of the blocks and colors. Now that I have a starting point, I will move them around. In the beginning, I didn't know how many pink blocks I'd use, and found as I put the blocks on the wall that I had to use them all (or make more.) There is more pink at the top and bottom because of that. I'll definitely try to redistribute them throughout the quilt.

These look a bit dark to me, and in the evening light, they look darker. These photos were taken with a flash, and the layout looks better in the camera than on the wall. I'll be eager to see how they look in daylight.

OOPS! I just found two mistakes in the layout!  Too funny. Well, too late now. I'll leave them there and see how they look later. I've said quilts have a way of telling you what they want. This one definitely isn't done talking to me.

7 comments:

Mary Ellen said...

I like your idea of limitations increasing creativity. It is one I share. I love your quilt. Will wait with anticipation for the finish.

LynneP said...

Have you thought about trying your arrangement more by value? If you consider 4 petals together as one flower, try making dark flowers and light flowers and then arranging those. I don't see pictures in my head very well so everything gets tried out on my design wall so I can step away and look.
I love your petal idea; how you made them so spontaneously and I look forward to seeing the final arrangement/quilt.

deebriese said...

I love to see your work and cling to every word and so enjoy your creative process. I just ordered book cultural fusion and cannot wait to get started. I have been stuck on a quilt 2 years and I just don't feel motivated to finish up m not exact on my half square square triangles so they are frustrating me..thanks for your inspiration

deebriese said...

I love to see your work and cling to every word and so enjoy your creative process. I just ordered book cultural fusion and cannot wait to get started. I have been stuck on a quilt 2 years and I just don't feel motivated to finish up m not exact on my half square square triangles so they are frustrating me..thanks for your inspiration

Sandi said...

Love the colours you choose, and that your are enjoying your process.

Julianne said...

Thats a beautiful quilt Lynn!

Anonymous said...

I notice there's twelve pink petals. That could make three random pink "flowers".