Friday, November 13, 2015

Happiness Is...

This man is Gerald Roy. It was his collection of quilts that was exhibited at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston last year, and is currently on display at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art until February 2016, and then later in San Diego. He's on the Executive Board of Directors of the National Quilt Museum in Paducah Kentucky. He's an artist, quiltmaker and expert quilt appraiser.

It was in this capacity that I met with him last night as he appraised my quilt, Too Much Chicken.  He loved my quilt.  He said it was fun, but not silly. He loved all the little elements (foxes, the use of fabrics and the word jokes.) He said it was well made and beautifully quilted. (Check that smile on his face!) What a rush. It's one thing to have friends and family like your work. It's another thing when an expert loves it.

I've never been really sure about this quilt. It was fun and happy and somewhat ridiculous. Everybody who sees it smiles, and it was very heartwarming when Gerry turned it over and grinned from ear to ear.

The last time I met with him he asked me if I signed my quilts. When I showed him my discreet signatures on the back of my quilts he said, "Not big enough," so last night showed him the back of the quilt first.

He even loved that.

He said the workmanship and quilting were excellent, noted the quilt was extremely humorous and then valued it about three times what I expected. To say I was thrilled is an understatement of epic proportions.

It THAT wasn't enough...


 He signed my book. :-)

11 comments:

Megan said...

Wowee. Good on ya, Lynne.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Nancy J said...

This is a dream come true, and how could he be anything but thrilled at your back signature.

Poppy Q said...

Well done Lynne - we knew they were fabulous, and it is great someone so clever agrees.

Heidi said...

So wonderful !
And yes, the man got taste :))

Quiltdivajulie said...

Absolutely love that photo of him with your quilt - priceless!!

Rebecca said...

I bet your smile was as big as his smile....Love that picture cause it shows the total pleasure in that quilt!!!

Ruth said...

I am a fan of all your word quilts and I love the big signature letters. Well done and well deserved praise.

Dee W said...

Gerald Roy came to our museum for a color experience. We had a wonderful time, it was a total highlight! He was sooo much fun all around. I'm so glad you got your quilt appraised by someone wonderful.

Just Ducky said...

Good for you. Glad an expert likes your stuff, we sure do.

Anonymous said...

Hey!!! I had kids all weekend and just got to check this out.....what a POWERFUL experience!!!!!!! I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!

Sharon said...

Wow, that had to be one awesome experience! You must have been floating on Cloud 9. How special to have your quilt appraised by Gerald Roy, and how super-special that he loved it! Congratulations! It is well-deserved. Your quilts are Really Something!