Thursday, December 22, 2016

The Old Switcheroo!

Sometimes, it's the little things. It's obvious to me that this:

 
 Is better than this:
 

(although this isn't necessarily bad...)

But here's the funny thing...

This:

ISN'T better than this:


I know why this is so, design wise, but the more important thing is what I am after. The original idea of the diamonds floating above the black and white backgrounds works best if the diamonds are a single color. (second photo) That was what was in my head when I got started.

When the design is flipped on its side however, there is a lot more visual excitement in the last photo, because the diamonds appear to be moving and twinkling. The horizontal arrangement of the diamonds is stable and relaxing, which is another reason they work best as one color.  The vertical arrangement of the diamonds is more dynamic, and when they are more than one color, the arrangement is more dynamic still.

It's all in what you want. My original concept (the diamonds floating above the background) works best when the diamonds are a single color. I have to say though, that I really like the diamonds running vertically. I really love it when my quilts have energy and zing, and the last photo really encapsulates that.

It's a good thing I have a lot more scraps!

7 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Cannot wait to see this one sewn together and outdoors in natural light ...

The Selvage Fairy said...

Of course everything looks different in real life, but I noticed some details in the fourth picture. In the bottom right corner there are two blue/turquoise diamonds that have vertical lines in their middles that make them look 3-d. And in the top left is a gold/turquoise diamond that maybe looks a little muddy?
That last bit might just be me.
Lots of fun in any case.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

McReynolds interesting. Thanks for the great explanation of the concept. I knew what I liked, but not why.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love, love the twinkle effect. It looks like the jewelry inspiration piece.

Just Ducky said...

The vertical one is like those hanging bead curtains people used to have. Back in the hippie days mum says. HAHAHA.

Ann said...

I agree. I like the twinkle effect when the diamonds are vertical but the calmer effect of similar diamonds when horizontal. I wouldn't have thought there would be that much difference. Thanks for the insight.

CathyQuilts said...

Regardless of the orientation, I like the ones with the like colors together.